Wednesday, October 7, 2009

what I learned about ministry from a mechanical bull ride...


My evening started great with a few couples from the church gathering at McD's to talk, drink water, and sip coffee/hot chocolate. Was very good!

Then, we caught the end of Pastor Terry Garrett's youth service tonight and to cap it off he rented a mechanical bull for over 80 kids. I watched many teens ride that thing and I knew I had to try it for several reasons...if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand.

Well, I rode it. And rode it. And rode it. All on the same ride. It felt like forever even though it was just a few seconds. I did OK by the reaction from the people watching. Here's what I learned about ministry from before, during and after riding the mechanical bull...

1. Watch.
2. Study.
3. Ask.
4. Get a grip.
5. Stay Centered.
6. Flow.
7. If jostled and the operator stops the bull, readjust and give him the nod to go on.
8. Flow Faster.
9. Think Ahead.
10. Plan a respectable leap of faith when tired and need to let go.

Was a good ride!

Oh, and the best for last here - I had the best, I repeat, the best home made cinnamon rolls when I got home... Thanks jubilee! You and Mike are awesome!

1 comment:

  1. *blushing* You are so very welcome. Wish we coulda stayed and watched you ride!

    Planning how to fall is a big one!

    ReplyDelete